Great bungalow apartment just 20 minutes from the White House!
* One bedroom with living room, dining room, vegan kitchen (no cooking of meat, please), and bathroom -- all private
* Includes WiFi and cable TV
* Convenient to public transportation and vegetarian restaurants/groceries
* Off-street parking and private entrance
* Shared backyard with furnished patio and flower garden
* Shared washer and dryer in basement
* Public transportation can take you to the heart of Washington in half an hour. I provide SmarTrip cards to save you money as well as subway maps and bus schedules.
* Less than a block away is the stop for several buses that go to the Rhode Island Avenue or Prince George's Plaza Metro station in 10 minutes.
* It's about a 10-minute drive to the University of MD and a 12-minute drive to Columbia Heights or U Street.
* You can bike to downtown DC, Capitol Hill, Hyattsville, or College Park.
* Mount Rainier is a great little city, named "up and coming" by the Washingtonian Magazine, with a new gateway arts district and a small-town sense of community. It’s very diverse and progressive.
* Your home away from home is half a block from Rhode Island Avenue (Route 1). Just around the corner, you will find the post office. City Hall and the public library are a block away. Walk a couple of blocks more, and you’re in Northeast Washington, DC.
* Within about two or three blocks from the house are Glut vegetarian food co-op, Sweet and Natural vegan restaurant and bakery, Urban Eats coffee shop, Joe's Movement Emporium, antique and thrift stores, and more.
* It’s a five-minute drive or bus ride to Busboys and Poets restaurant, Tara Thai restaurant, Yes Organic Market, Chipotle, and Elevation Burger in Hyattsville. Other nearby chains include Ikea, CVS, Giant, Subway, and Shoppers Food Warehouse.
* Ten minutes away, you’ll find The Mall at Prince George's Plaza and an inexpensive community center with a well-equipped exercise room and various activities.
* Relax in the living room, which features a 32-inch TV and DVD player, cable TV, and a massage chair! Thumb through your copy of The Veg-DC Vegetarian Guide to Washington, DC. Read a book or watch a DVD from my collection.
* Prepare vegetarian food in the well-appointed kitchen. Small appliances include a microwave oven, dishwasher, toaster oven, blender, and coffee maker. (Please, NO COOKING OF MEAT, including birds and fish.) A few vegan beverages and snacks are also provided.
* Refresh in the bathroom, which is stocked with a hair dryer, fluffy towels, hand soap, body wash, shampoo, lotion, razors, and other toiletries, just in case you forget to bring your own.
* All guests have access to an iron, ironing board, and vacuum cleaner stored in the bedroom closet. Long-term guests receive basic housekeeping services approximately every two weeks.
* International guests have access to a domestic cell phone.
I’m looking forward to hosting you. Contact me right now!
|Room type:||Entire home/apt|
|Bed type:||Real Bed|
|Extra people:||$10 / night after the first guest|
|Minimum Stay:||2 nights|
|Weekly Price:||$499 /week|
|Monthly Price:||$1599 /month|
|Check In:||10:00 AM|
|Check Out:||1:00 PM|
|Neighborhood:||Mt Rainier/Brentwood, MD|
Merlene was very welcoming and even had snacks waiting for us upon our arrival. Her place was conveniently located within 2 miles of Echo Stage. If I attend another show there, I'll be sure to book her place.
Merlene was a wonderful hostess! She thought of every thing. She had treats which were such a gift for 4 hungry travelers. We had our dogs and she had covered her couches which relieved our stress.
Her wonderful oasis was an amazing experience for our family. We highly recommend her home and will definitely consider staying there for future visits.
Though we only stayed for a couple of nights, my friends and I had a wonderful experience!
Merlene is a wonderful and kind host, and her place is truly a very convenient peaceful oasis. I immediately felt at home, the house was immaculate, the kitchen well appointed, and the furnishings both comfortable and attractive. I originally booked for 1 week, but extended my stay for 4 more weeks, and would happily stay there again. The backyard is very pretty, and there are a few friendly neighborhood kitties that come by to visit (outside) that are incredibly sweet. There is easy to access off-street parking behind the house, and public transportation (buses/metro) are close by as well. Super easy to get to downtown DC! I also enjoyed the Bladensburg Waterfront Park that is nearby. It has a short but nice paved walking trail, daily free pontoon boat rides, and you can rent canoes/kayaks there as well at great prices.
We lived in vegan oasis 2.5 months. The house is located in a very convenient location. The center of Washington's public transport is about 30 minutes or 10 minutes by car!
We loved the back garden, it was a great place for my newborn son! He could breathe the air of the whole day! My mother and I loved to sit on the front porch in the evening, there is very cozy. We liked kitchen, this is very light and comfortable place in house!
We met with the neighbors are wonderful people!
Merlene is very friendly and attentive. Always solve the issues you care about. Probably we stay here one more time if will visit Washington DC again!
Lived in this house for a long time I can recommend this house to anyone who is a vegetarian way of life!
Merlene and her place are both really lovely. She is a warm and patient host, with a very clean and well-appointed house. We were very comfortable, Mt. Ranier is just over the DC line and nicely convenient to all the things we wanted to do. If she has availability, we will stay with her again the next time we're in DC, and you should, too!
Our plane arrived late, and Merlene was wonderful to wait for us until almost 11 p.m. Lovely unit, quite clean with a well-equipped kitchen, with just enough goodies to get us through the fact that we hadn't eaten in many hours. Thanks again, Merlene.
Merlene was a great host and her home was the perfect place for my family to stay for our trip to DC. Just like in the pictures, her home was beautiful and comfortable to stay in. Even though it is only one bedroom, it still provided plenty of space for our family of 6! There's a full bed in the main bedroom plus a couch in the living room that converts to a queen bed. In addition to that, Merlene was kind enough to buy a twin air mattress for our youngest son to sleep on which he really enjoyed. Since we were only 20 minutes away from downtown DC, everything was very easy to get to. Also, I would like to add that even though we are not vegetarians, we still were welcome there and we respected Merlene's wishes in regards to food preparation. I highly recommend this home!
Staying at Merlene's home was a wonderful experience. Merlene's home is truly an oasis just 20 minutes from all the major attractions (White House, National Monuments, Smithsonian museums, etc.) and government and other offices headquartered in DC. We were able to combine work (two different meetings while there) and vacation days site-seeing while staying at Merlene's for 10 days. Every amenity is provided for cooking in the fully equipped kitchen, a comfortable bed, relaxing living room, high-speed wireless internet, impeccable attention to detail and design. At night (autumn) we could hear the crickets chirping in the quiet evening and in the morning, the birds and cats in the beautiful backyard were a lovely connection to nature. Lots of windows and natural light during the day and I love the decor of Merlene's home and the friendly Mt. Rainier, MD neighborhood. We simply felt completely at home. Merlene welcomed us with a very helpful folder of information with maps and brochures on food co-op groceries, veg and vegan-friendly restaurants, and transportation options from car parking in her driveway, to bus service to metro cards. Merlene is a kind and exceptional host. While staying at Merlene's we had full privacy, yet felt completely cared for and attended to. Merlene has thought of everything to make the stay a positive and comfortable experience. First rate, top notch! We will look forward to staying at Merlene's through airbnb.com on future trips to the DC area.
Merlene's place certainly was an Oasis. A beautiful home that was both warm and relaxing. There are many mom-and-pop stores close by that make for an interesting walk. I strongly recommend this place to anyone that wants to visit the metropolitan area but also wants a getaway within a getaway to sit back and zone off.
This is the final rate, including any fees from the host and Airbnb.